The Jazz Education Network is dedicated to building the jazz arts community by advancing education, promoting performance, and developing new audiences.
Who We Are
We are the UNC college chapter of the Jazz Education Network, an international network of jazz performers and educators.
We are one of the largest JEN chapters in the country and frequently have members performing and presenting at the national JEN conference each year.
What We Do
We bring in professional artists regularly for clinics and performances where students get the opportunity to perform for and with some of the best jazz artists in the world. We’ve hosted over 25 clinics in the past two years. Some of our recent guest artists have included:
- The Jeff Hamilton Trio with Tamir Hendelman and Christoph Luty
- Bassist Mike Pope
- Drummer Allison Miller
- Guitarist and USC Professor Bruce Foreman
- Drummer Matt Wilson
- Trumpeter and Basie Band member Mike Williams
- Vocalist Calabria Foti
- Guitarist and Booking Agent Peter Mazza
- Pianist and former UNT Professor Stefan Karlsson
- Trombonist Bob McChesney
- Bassoonist and Bela Fleck collaborator Paul Hanson
- Saxophonist Charles McPherson
- The Bill Cunliffe Trio with Martin Wind and Tim Horner
- The Anna Webber Trio with John Hollenbeck and Matt Mitchell
- Mark Helias’ Open Loose Trio with Tony Malaby and Tom Rainey
- Saxophonist Dick Oatts
Why Join JEN
- Members get free access to all JEN clinics and performances ($15 entry fee for non-members)
- Members get access to videos of JEN clinics and performances
- Members get the opportunity to learn from some of the best artists and educators in the world
- Members get the opportunity to play with guest artists in a masterclass format
- Members get the opportunity to meet and network with guest artists
Become A JEN Member
A one-time membership fee of $50 gives you access to all JEN events throughout the school year. Sign-up online.
(Note that your credit card charge will appear as UNC Jazz Press.)
Recent National Conference Performances, Awards, and Presentations by UNC Students, Faculty, and Alumni
- UNC Jazz Lab I, 2015 Evening Performance with Bill Watrous
- Born To Wander (UNC Professors Erik Applegate and Steve Kovalcheck with UNC alum Kate Skinner), 2015 Performance
- Erik Applegate and Braun Khan, 2015 Presentation - Bass Lines And Solos By The Masters: A Progressively Organized Selection: Beginning To Advanced
- Tom Amend, 2015 JEN Student Composition Award
- Ben Parrish, 2015 Performance - Colossus Big Band
- Brian Claxton and Braun Khan, 2015 Performance - Phil Mattson Singers
- Ryan Middagh, 2015 Presentation - The Development of Bob Brookmeyer’s Compositional Style: A Comparative Study of Six Works For Jazz Ensemble
- Jim White, 2015 Performance - Mundell Lowe/Jim Ferguson Quartet
- Kerry Marsh and Julia Dollison, 2015 Presentation - Vocal Jazz Reading Session
- Brian Claxton, 2014 David Baker Scholarship Recipient
- Braun Khan, 2014 Hal Leonard Collegiate Scholarship Recipient
- Kerry Marsh, Julia Dollison, Dana Landry, Erik Applegate, Steve Kovalcheck, 2014 Performance - Vertical Voices
- Jonathan Campbell, 2014 Presentation - Rehearsal Strategies for Jazz Combos: How To Promote Listening And Interaction
- UNC Jazz Lab I, 2013 Performance
- Dana Landry, Erik Applegate, Steve Kovalcheck, Jim White, 2013 Performance - 7 On 7
- Jim White, 2013 Performance - Mike Pope/Jim White Trio
- Socrates Garcia, 2013 Presentation - Effective Tools For Composing/Arranging Using Finale
2016-17 JEN Student Chapter Officers
- Mike Conrad – President
- Teague Bechtel – Vice President
- Alyson Agemy – Artist Liaison
- Bethany Merritt – Secretary
- Sherry Alves – Treasurer
- Chang Su – Publicist
- Tom Amend & Matt Landon – Ombudsman/Assistant Artist Liaison
- David Baker - Jazz Festival Coordinator
Please check the JEN board outside the Jazz Studies Office for upcoming JEN events. Visit the national website at: www.jazzednet.org.
Drummer and composer John Hollenbeck explaining drumming concepts to students.
Student Gabe Scheid performs with and gets feedback from the Jeff Hamilton Trio.
UNC Lab I performs at the 2015 JEN Conference in San Diego.
Student Tom Amend performs with saxophonist Charles McPherson.