Colorado All-State Band 2017
University of Northern Colorado School of Music,
Colorado Music Educators Association,
Colorado High School Activities Association
The 66th Annual Colorado All-State Band
All-State Concert Band
Scott Jones, Guest Conductor
Professor of Conducting and Ensembles, Ohio State University
All-State Symphonic Band
Craig Kirchhoff, Guest Conductor
Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota
The 110-piece Concert Band is open only to
students from high schools of 1,100 or fewer students based on “enrollment” count in 2015 -2016 CHSAA Directory.
(Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors)
The 110-piece Symphonic Band is open to students from all schools.
(Juniors and Seniors only)
March 30 - April 1, 2017
November 28 - December 2, 2016
(Audition locations and times TBD)
For further information,
Frasier 18, Campus Box 28
Greeley, CO 80639
Phone: (970) 351-2273
Fax: (970) 351-2639
Audition materials and procedures are the same for both bands.
A $20.00 fee will be charged for each auditioning student.
- Major Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 16th notes, quarter-note = 112
- Harmonic Minor Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 8th notes, quarter-note = 120
- Chromatic Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 8th notes, quarter-note = 80
- Must be played by memory on woodwinds, brass and mallets, legato up and down
- Approximately one minute of rhythmically challenging music.
Will be drawn from the following readily available books. Students proficient on more than one instrument within the same family (flute/piccolo, oboe/English horn, high clarinet/low clarinet, all the saxophones, trombone/euphonium, etc.) are strongly encouraged to audition on each instrument, using separate audition times and audition permission forms.
- Köhler – 25 Romantic Etudes for Flute, Op. 66 (Kalmus) p. 24-25, No. 23, Beginning to downbeat of m. 33 (quarter note = 88-92)
- Andersen – 24 Etudes for the Flute, Op. 33 (C. Fischer) p. 20, No. 20, All, no repeats, 2nd endings (quarter note= 132)
- Voxman - Selected Studies (Rubank) p.19, beginning through m. 16, downbeat (dotted quarter-note = 63) p.15, beginning through m. 16 (quarter note = 72)
- Voxman-Gower - Advanced Method, Vol. 1 (Rubank) p.70, No.4, all [no repeats] (quarter-note = 60) p.53, No.30, all (quarter-note = 132)
- Rose - 32 Etudes (C. Fischer) p.9, No. 8, top through 2nd bar of 6th line [no repeat] (quarter-note = 108) p.14, No. 13, top through 3rd bar of 5th line (quarter-note = 63)
- Rose – 32 Etudes for Clarinet (C. Fischer) Revised Edition p. 12, No. 8, top through 2nd bar of 6th line [no repeat] (quarter-note = 108) p. 17, No. 13, top through 1st bar of 6th line
- Weissenborn/Rhoads - Advanced Studies (Southern) p.7, No. 11, 1st 4 lines (quarter-note = 72) p.7, No. 11, lines 5 through 8 [no repeats] (dotted-half-note = 60)
- Voxman - Selected Studies (Rubank) p. 36, beginning to the end of line 4 (eighth-note = 126) p. 44, beginning to the end of line 6 (dotted half-note = 60)
- Snedecor – Lyrical Etudes (PAS Music) p. 6-7 Etude V, start at B, end at downbeat, the bar before C (quarter-note = 108) p. 28-29 Etude XIX, all (dotted half-note = 72)
- Pottag - Preparatory Melodies (Belwin-Mills) p.24, No.59, all (dotted quarter-note = 96-100) p.25, No.62, all, including D.S. (quarter-note = 96-108)
- Voxman - Selected Studies for Trombone (Rubank) p.18, beginning through measure 47 (dotted half-note = 66) p.16, beginning through measure 17 (dotted quarter-note = 52)[Treble-clef baritone must either transpose these etudes or play the trumpet etudes]
- Ostrander - Method for Bass Trombone (C. Fischer) p. 40, No. 2, all [no repeats] (quarter note = 96) p. 40, No. 3, all [no repeats] (quarter note = 132)
- Sheridan – Performance Studies for Tuba (De Haske) p. 10-11, Alte Zauberkiste, all; Fliessend & Giocoso (quarter note = 136); Dolce (dotted quarter-note = 84)
- Piece(s) of your choice, demonstrating technique and musicality.
- Whaley - Recital Pieces for Mallets (J. R. Publications) p.8, “Allemande,” top – 6th line, downbeat of 2nd bar [no repeat] (8th note = 116-120)
- Cirone - Portraits in Rhythm (Belwin-Mills) [All rolls in concert style - multiple bounce] p.8, No. 6, all (tempi as marked)
- Whaley - Musical Studies for the Intermediate Timpanist (J.R. Publications) p.21, all [play on 3 drums] (tempo as marked)