UNC Ensembles are open to students of all majors. Click on the links below to find more information about the audition requirements and to schedule an audition.
- UNC Symphony Orchestra
- Jazz Combos
- Lab Bands I, II, III, Funk/Soul Band
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles
- Percussion Ensemble
- Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, Glee
- Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble
- Alternative Styles
- Chamber Music (based on area)
- Contemporary Music Ensemble
- Marching Band, Concert Band
- World Music Ensemble
- Early Music Ensemble (Email Dr. Fulks for Instructor Approval)
- Campus String Orchestra
- University Singers
To make changes to your scheduled audition, log in to the online scheduling portal.
Auditions for Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble & UNC Symphony Orchestra Winds
Audition Dates & Locations
Aug 22, 2023 | 9am - 5pm
Aug 24, 2023 | 9am - 6pm
Audition Information and Requirements
- Students wishing to be considered for either Wind Ensemble or Symphonic Band must play the prescribed excerpts. Any additional audition material will be provided by the studio teacher for your instrument, and you are to reach out to the teacher ASAP. NO audition is necessary for Concert Band considerations. (Percussionists: Dr. Tim Feerst will have audition information specific to you, and it will be posted online.)
- All wind/brass students who wish to be considered for University Orchestra are to audition during the band audition days/times (August 22nd & 24th ). Be prepared to play any prescribed orchestral excerpts required by the studio teacher, in addition to the band excerpts.
- If you wish to audition on multiple instruments for either Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, or University Orchestra, you must prepare each set of excerpts for those instruments (ex., flute/piccolo, Eb/Bb clarinet, Bb/Bass clarinet, any of the saxophones, or any of the brass doublings). Again, Be prepared to play any prescribed orchestral excerpts required by the studio teacher, in addition to the band excerpts.
- Ensemble Auditions will take place during the first week of classes on both Tuesday (August 22nd) & Thursday (August 24th). Be sure to sign up for an audition time on the scheduling portal. All auditions are 10-minutes in length and "in-person" in the Performance Hall of Campus Commons. (Percussionists, please contact Dr. Tim Feerst, firstname.lastname@example.org to determine your audition day/time and audition material.)
- All ensemble assignments (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, University Orchestra Wind Section) will be posted on or before Friday, August 25th , in time for you to register for your ensemble(s).
- All auditions will be IN PERSON at Campus Commons Performance Hall. Should a virtual audition need to be scheduled in place of the in-person audition, the student should contact Dr. Wesley Broadnax (Director of Bands) ASAP via email at email@example.com.
Contact Wesley.Broadnax@unco.edu for questions.
Aug 22, 2023, starting at 1pm
CC Rehearsal Hall
- Instruments will be provided.
- All students interested in playing percussion in Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and the UNC Symphony Orchestra must audition.
- Only students not enrolled in the percussion studio will need to audition for Percussion Ensemble.
Aug 21, 2023 | 2:30pm - 4:25pm
Aug 23, 2023 | 2:30pm - 4:25pm
CC Rehearsal Hall
Please prepare a piece of your choice that best demonstrates both your musical and technical abilities. In addition, please prepare the following orchestral excerpts from Dvorak’s Symphony No.8:
See below for important information regarding choral auditions.
Aug 21, 2023 | 10am - 3pm
Audition Materials and Information
- You do not need to bring music to the audition.
- Auditionees will be asked to sing the first verse melody of a familiar tune (“My Country Tis of Thee” or “Amazing Grace” -your choice) and vocalize on scales and arpeggios. If you would like to take a look at these pieces, here are links:
Selecting the Correct Audition Type
- All incoming undergrad soprano/alto voices should audition with Dr. Clelyn Chapin.
- All incoming undergrad tenor/bass voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett.
- All incoming graduate S/A/T/B voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett.
- Returning Glee, Concert, or Chamber Choir Students will not need to reaudition. Simply sign up for the course.
- All students who would like to move to another choir WILL need to schedule an audition.
- Glee will be comprised of primarily Treble repertoire. TTB repertoire may possibly be added dependent on participant vocal ranges/parts.
- There is no audition required for University Singers, MUS 282. Register for the class through URSA and attend the first rehearsal.
- Based on your audition, you will be placed in the appropriate choir. Students wishing to “pre-register” register for a specific ensemble may do so prior to auditions but may need to change to their assigned choir afterwards. Students may also delay registering for an ensemble until auditions are completed on the Friday of the first week of classes.
- Acceptance into a choir carries with it the expectation of participation in both the fall and spring semesters. General exceptions to this would be student teaching or mid-year graduation, or other situations as determined.
We Look forward to your audition. For more information, contact Dr. Clelyn Chapin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aug 21, 2023
Audition Requirements & Notes
Auditions for all Opera Theatre productions during the 2023-24 academic year will occur on Monday, August 21, from 3pm to 8:45pm in Frasier 90. Callbacks for l’Elisir d’amore will occur on Monday, August 28, at 3pm. Please prepare two arias or songs, preferably one in English and one in Italian. Pianist will be provided.
Aug 21-23, 2023
- Piano/Brass/Bass/Sax - Frasier 0063
- Drums/Guitar - CC Rehearsal Hall
Instrumental Jazz Audition Information
All jazz groups are open to all students, not only jazz studies majors or music majors. If you are interested in exploring jazz music, we hope you will audition.
Please join us for the UNC Jazz Welcome Concert!
Wednesday, August 23, 7:30pm | Frasier 90
Round 1: Aug 22, 2023 | 11am - 5pm
Round 2: Aug 24, 2023| 2 - 4:45pm
Round 2 (Callbacks) time, 2pm, is mandatory for all returning auditioners.
Email Marion.Powers@unco.edu in case of time conflicts asap.
Aug 22: Frasier 201 (Marion Power's Office)
Aug 24: FRAS 63