UNC Ensembles are open to students of all majors. Click on the links below to find more information about the audition requirements and to schedule an audition.
- UNC Symphony Orchestra
- Jazz Combos
- Lab Bands I, II, III, Funk/Soul Band
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles
- Percussion Ensemble
- Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, Glee
- Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble
- Alternative Styles
- Chamber Music (based on area)
- Contemporary Music Ensemble
- Marching Band, Concert Band
- World Music Ensemble
- Early Music Ensemble (Email Dr. Fulks for Instructor Approval)
- Campus String Orchestra
- University Singers
To make changes to your scheduled audition, log in to the online scheduling portal.
Woodwinds & Brass
Auditions for Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble & UNC Symphony Orchestra Winds
Audition Dates & Locations
August 22, 2022
- Trumpets: 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Horns: 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Euphonium: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
August 23, 2022
- Tenor Trombone/Bass Trombones: 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Tubas: 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Saxophones: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
August 24, 2022
- Flute/Piccolo: 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Oboes/Bassoons: 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Clarinets/Bass Clarinet: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Audition Information and Requirements
- Students who are auditioning for band ensembles only should prepare each of the etudes, taken from Hindemith's Symphony in Bb, and Iannaccone's After a Gentle Rain. For Fall 2022, there will only be Wind Ensemble & Symphonic Band available in terms of concert bands, No Concert Band will take place for Fall 2022; however, all three ensembles (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, & Concert Band) will resume for Spring 2023. Therefore, the auditions for Fall are open to anyone, regardless of major, but for those students only wanting to participate in Concert Band will need register for Spring participation. No audition is necessary for Concert Band.
- Those wind and brass students wishing to audition for the symphony orchestra will need to prepare orchestral excerpts (as outlined by the studio teacher), as well as any three (3) band excerpts.
- Students wishing to audition on more than one instrument (band or orchestra) would need to prepare excerpts for those instruments accordingly.
- Fall Ensemble Auditions will take place during the first week of classes (Week of August 22nd). Ensemble rehearsals will begin during the week of August 29.
- All auditions will be IN PERSON at Campus Commons Performance Hall. Should a virtual audition need to be scheduled in place of the in-person audition, the student should contact Dr. Wesley Broadnax (Director of Bands) ASAP via email at email@example.com.
Contact Wesley.Broadnax@unco.edu for questions.
August 25, 2022, 5:00pm - 6:30pm
CC Rehearsal Hall
- Perform a solo, etude or orchestral excerpt on snare drum, mallets, and timpani
- Instruments will be provided
- Please be early to your scheduled audition and mainting social distancing at all times
- All students interested in playing percussion in Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and the UNC Symphony Orchestra must audition
- Only students not enrolled in the percussion studio will need to audition for Percussion Ensemble
UNC Symphony Orchestra Strings
August 22, 24, & 26, 2022
CC Rehearsal Hall
Please prepare a piece of your choice that best demonstrates both your musical and technical abilities. In addition, please prepare the following orchestral excerpts:
See below for important information regarding choral auditions.
August 22 - 26, 2022
CC Performance Hall, Rehearsal Hall, Frasier 256, 249, & 126
Audition Materials and Information
- You do not need to bring music to the audition.
- Auditionees will be asked to sing the first verse melody of a familiar tune (“My Country
Tis of Thee” or “Amazing Grace” -your choice) and vocalize on scales and arpeggios. If
you would like to take a look at these pieces, here are links:
- My Country: https://hymnary.org/media/fetch/136476
- Amazing Grace https://hymnary.org/media/fetch/96169
Selecting the Correct Audition Type
- All incoming undergrad soprano/alto voices should audition with Dr. Clelyn Chapin.
- All incoming undergrad tenor/bass voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett.
- All incoming graduate S/A/T/B voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett.
- Returning Glee, Concert, or Chamber Choir Students will not need to reaudition. Simply sign up for the course.
- All students who would like to move to another choir WILL need to schedule an audition.
- Glee will be comprised of primarily Treble repertoire. TTB repertoire may possibly be added dependent on participant vocal ranges/parts.
- There is no audition required for University Singers, MUS 282. Register for the class through URSA and attend the first rehearsal.
- Based on your audition, you will be placed in the appropriate choir. Students wishing to “pre-register” register for a specific ensemble may do so prior to auditions but may need to change to their assigned choir afterwards. Students may also delay registering for an ensemble until auditions are completed on the Friday of the first week of classes.
- Acceptance into a choir carries with it the expectation of participation in both the fall and spring semesters. General exceptions to this would be student teaching or mid-year graduation, or other situations as determined.
We Look forward to your audition. For more information, contact Dr. Jill Burgett at Jill.Burgett@unco.edu.
- Monday, August 22, 2022 | 3:35pm - 8:45 pm
- Callbacks - Friday, August 26, 2022 @ 4:30pm and Monday, August 29, 2022 @ 4:30pm
- August 22 - Frasier 90
- August 26 - CC Performance Hall
- August 29 - CC Performance Hall
Audition Requirements & Notes
Prepare two arias or songs (art songs or musical theatre accepted), at least one of which should be in English; a pianist will be provided. You may prepare arias from the season: fall, Handel’s Acis and Galatea (collaboration with URSA) and spring, Puccini’s Suor Angelica. Please note that both semesters will be cast from these auditions; we will not hold separate auditions in December for the spring semester. Callbacks for both productions will be held on Friday, August 26 at 4:30pm (for Acis and Galatea) and Monday, August 29 at 4:30pm (for Suor Angelica) in the Campus Commons Performance Hall
August 22 - 24, 2022
- Piano/Brass/Bass/Sax - Frasier 0063
- Drums/Guitar - CC Rehearsal Hall
Instrumental Jazz Audition Information
All jazz groups are open to all students, not only jazz studies majors or music majors. If you are interested in exploring jazz music, we hope you will audition.
Please join us for the UNC Jazz Welcome Concert!
Wednesday, August 24, 7:30pm | Campus Commons Performance Hall
August 22 - 23, 2022