Spring 2022 Ensemble Auditions
UNC Ensembles are open to students of all majors. Click on the links below to find more information about the audition requirements and to schedule an audition for the Spring 2022 semester.
- UNC Symphony Orchestra
- Jazz Combos
- Lab Bands I, II, III, IV & V
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles
- Percussion Ensemble
- Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, Women's Glee
- Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble
- Alternative Styles
- Chamber Music (based on area)
- Contemporary Music Ensemble
- Marching Band
- World Music Ensemble
- Early Music Ensemble (Email Dr. Fulks for Instructor Approval)
- Campus String Orchestra
- University Singers
To make changes to your scheduled audition, log in to the online scheduling portal.
Auditions for Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble & UNC Symphony Orchestra Winds
Woodwinds - TBD
Brass - TBD
- The audition time slots are for 10 minutes each, and the repertoire will be a combination of material determined by both the applied teachers and the Director of Bands. Be sure to check with your studio teacher regarding the audition material.
- If you are wanting to be considered for Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, or Symphony Orchestra, you MUST play the required audition material below. If only for Concert Band, your own material will suffice.
Contact Wesley.Broadnax@unco.edu for questions.
Flute students who are auditioning for orchestra are to prepare the following excerpts IN ADDITION to the band excerpts:
- Debussy- Prélude to the Afternoon of a Faun - opening solo (m. 1 to 4)
- Mendelssohn- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Scherzo (2 before P to the end)
Beethoven- Symphony No. 3, mvt. IV (4 before B to m. 200)
Piccolo: Ippolitov-Ivanov- Caucasian Sketches (8 before A to B)
TRUMPETHORNTENOR TROMBONEIn addition to the band excerpts, tenor trombonists should prepare additional excerpts from the solo or orchestral repertoire that demonstrate your range and lyrical playing. Etude excerpts will also be accepted
BASS TROMBONEIn addition to the band excerpts, bass trombonists should prepare additional excerpts from the solo or orchestral repertoire that demonstrate your range and lyrical playing. Etude excerpts will also be accepted
- Perform a solo, etude or orchestral excerpt on snare drum, mallets, and timpani
- Instruments will be provided
- Please be early to your scheduled audition and mainting social distancing at all times
- All students interested in playing percussion in Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and the UNC Symphony Orchestra must audition
- Only students not enrolled in the percussion studio will need to audition for Percussion Ensemble
Please contact Professor Edward Rothmel regarding piano auditions.
Monday, January 10, 2022
UNC string auditions will be held all day on Monday, January 10 in Frasier Hall 13, the studio of Russell Guyver, Director of Orchestras. The audition will determine your participation in either the UNC Symphony Orchestra or the UNC Campus String Orchestra and will inform seating and choices of repertoire. An online sign-up sheet will be available by early January and you are asked to choose a time that doesn’t conflict with your class schedule. Auditions will be scheduled in 10 minute slots.
See below for important information regarding choral auditions.
Frasier Hall 255 & CC Rehearsal Hall
Audition Materials and Information
- You do not need to bring music to the audition.
- Auditionees will be asked to sing a familiar tune (“My Country Tis of Thee” or “Amazing Grace” -your choice) and vocalize on scales and arpeggios.
- Sight-reading and some tonal memory recall will also be requested.
Selecting the Correct Audition Type
- All incoming undergrad soprano/alto voices should audition with Ms. Kirsten Carpenter Ortman/ Ms. Hanna Wo (Frasier 256/255).
- All incoming undergrad tenor/bass voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett (Frasier 122 E).
- All incoming graduate S/A/T/B voices should audition with Dr. Jill Burgett (Frasier 122 E).
- Returning Women’s Glee/Men’s Glee students wishing to audition for the Concert Choir or Chamber Choir should audition with Dr. Burgett (Frasier 122E).
- Returning members of the Concert Choir or Chamber Choir may enroll in Concert Choir with no re-audition.
- Important! All new and returning members of Chamber Choir will need to audition or re-audition. This will allow us to get it back down to a Chamber Choir size. Please also audition with Dr. Burgett (Frasier 122E).
- Men’s Glee has been temporarily suspended for the 2021-22 school year, and will resume during the 2022/23 academic year, thus, all men will be placed in Chamber, Concert, or University Singers. These will all count as your MMO. We will attempt to program some men’s rep in the Concert Choir and the University Singers to maintain our Men’s Choral tradition during this year.
- Important! As stated above, all new and returning members of Chamber Choir will need to audition or re-audition.
- There is no audition required for University Singers, MUS 282. Register for the class through URSA and attend the first rehearsal.
- Based on your audition, you will be placed in the appropriate choir. Students wishing to “pre-register” register for a specific ensemble may do so prior to auditions but may need to change to their assigned choir afterwards. Students may also delay registering for an ensemble until auditions are completed on the Friday of the first week of classes.
- Acceptance into a choir carries with it the expectation of participation in both the fall and spring semesters. Exceptions to this would be student teaching or mid-year graduation.
For more information, contact Dr. Jill Burgett at Jill.Burgett@unco.edu.
November 29, 2021 4:30pm - 8:30 PM
Campus Commons Performance Hall
Two arias or songs, one of which should be in English.
Audition Submission Deadlines
Priority Deadline: TBD
(REQUIRED FOR JAZZ MAJORS, others encouraged to submit by this time)
Final Deadline: TBD
(for all other UNC Students)